Family planning allows individuals and couples to anticipate and attain their desired number of children and the spacing and timing of their births. It is achieved through use of contraceptive methods and the treatment of involuntary infertility. A woman’s ability to space and limit her pregnancies has a direct impact on her health and well-being as well as on the outcome of each pregnancy. Kids & Teens Resource Centre works with communities and other stakeholders to promote family planning in a culturally accepted and gender sensitive methods by launching out advocacy, community awareness etc.
Infant and Young Children Feeding
To address these problems on infant and young child feeding practices, Kids & Teens Resource Centre aimed to improve the nutritional status and health of children especially the under-three and consequently reduce infant and under-five mortality. Specifically, its objectives were to improve, protect and promote infant and young child feeding practices, increase political commitment at all levels, provide a supportive environment and ensure its sustainability. Kids & Teens Resource Centre promotes exclusive breastfeeding annually with other stakeholders.
Adolescent Reproductive Health – Monthly Knowing Series
1. Very Young Adolescent: Early adolescence marks a critical time of development for young people—including intense physical, hormonal, cognitive, and social changes, and the formation of one's identity. Very young adolescents (VYAs), those between the ages of 10 and 14, are acquiring information, developing attitudes, and experimenting with behaviors that will affect their present and future well-being. Both boys and girls are internalizing cultural messages of what it means to be a man or a woman, and how they process these messages will affect their behaviors and health outcomes for decades to come. Educating young people with the right information on their reproductive health is one of our core competencies. We are dedicated to ensuring that every young person has the right information about their reproductive health. We also offer youth friendly services to young people to create the appropriate environment to engage young people on their sexuality. 2. Peer Education: Supports the National Reproductive Health and HIV Prevention, Care and Support project through the National Youth Service Corps (NYSC) in Nigeria. NYSC corps members are trained to stand as Peer Education Trainers and deployed to secondary schools to recruit and train 40 students as Peer Educators using the Peer Education approach in the school and meeting each student with minimum prevention package interventions. 3. Peer Education Plus: Out-of-school young people lose a valuable opportunity to learn about reproductive health and HIV in a stable classroom situation. They are vulnerable to misinformation from unreliable sources or may possibly never learn about the issues at all. While some parents fulfill their roles as educators by openly discussing these health concerns with their children, others avoid the topic because of embarrassment or lack of knowledge or skills. In some parts of the world, too, a growing number of out-of-school youth have lost their parents to AIDS. Kids & Teens Resource Centre encourages young people to stay in or return to school, provides out-of-school youth with accurate information on reproductive health and HIV issues and services, and offer them training on life building skills including communication and negotiation skills, provide them with appropriate reproductive health and HIV & AIDS services, tailored to meet their specific needs and also provide them with avenues to acquire vocational skills to generate incomes.
Children Hygiene And Sanitation Education (CHASE) CLUB
CHASE is an approach to promoting good hygiene among children and was developed in rural areas of Akure north with the support of Action Aid under the partnership against poverty program. It is based on the PHAST approach. PHAST (Participatory Hygiene and Sanitation Transformation) is a participatory learning methodology that supports communities in improving hygiene behaviours, reduce diarrhoeal disease and encourage effective community management of water and sanitation services. CHASE applies a variety of exercises and educational games to educate children about the direct links between personal hygiene and good health. CHASE is based on the premise that personal hygiene practices are usually acquired during childhood and therefore better to try changing the habits of children than those of adults. The CHASE approach takes advantage of the natural attributes that children have less knowledge and experience, fewer responsibilities and a different conception of time and the future and are also naturally inquisitive and eager to learn. PHAST encourages children to actively participate in open discussions and to share their experiences and ideas with their peers.
YOUTH-FRIENDLY HEALTH CARE SERVICES
Young people, especially those who are sexually active, need access to a variety of reproductive health and HIV services. Frequently, youth seek services only when there is an acute illness or problem, such as a symptomatic sexually transmitted infection or pregnancy. Youth often avoid using HIV prevention and other services because of inconvenient hours or location, unfriendly staff, and lack of privacy and confidentiality. With the support of Ford Foundation, Kids & Teens Resource Centre designed a program to promote young people’s access services, special efforts are also made to attract, serve, and retain young clients in secondary health facilities in Ondo State of Nigeria. Efforts are made to meet both the pregnancy and STI/HIV prevention needs of youth, even where clinical services are often separate.
Tuberculosis (TB) continues to be one of the major causes of death in the world. This is unnecessary, since TB can be cured. TB is an infectious disease caused by the TB bacillus (Mycobacterium tuberculosis). This infection can result in serious damage to the lungs and other organs. The commonest symptoms in the early stages are coughing, fatigue, fever, and loss of appetite. Painfully, children run a high risk of TB infection when living in a house with someone who has untreated pulmonary TB, especially the children under five years old. A child’s immune system is not fully developed yet and its coughing mechanism is less well developed. They might not cough much and the only symptoms may be a failure to thrive or that they develop an extra-pulmonary TB. As one of the leading civil society organizations on TB in Nigeria, Kids & Teens Resource Centre works closely with government and other stakeholders in Tuberculosis and Leprosy Control to conduct social mobilization, advocacy, communication, referral, community outreaches, rallies and campaigns and encourage the use of DOTS. Kids & Teens Resource Centre also offers comprehensive care and support to patients with MDR-TB with the support of Global Fund.
HIV & AIDS PREVENTION, CARE & SUPPORT
1. Joining the international body in the HIV & AIDS response, we engage in community outreaches, peer education, advocacy, referral, training, peer education plus, sexually transmitted infections management, condoms programming and HIV Counseling and Testing. 2. HIV counseling and testing services offer important benefits to all youth, regardless of their HIV status. Young people who test positive for HIV can access care and treatment services and be encouraged to adopt healthy behaviors that will enhance their quality of life and limit their risk of infecting others. Those who are not infected are counseled on making safe choices that will help them avoid infection in the future. Furthermore, counseling and testing provides an opportunity to offer a host of other services to youth. Youth can be encouraged to consider other issues related to sexual behavior, such as preventing sexually transmitted infections and unintended pregnancy. Providers counsel young people on abstinence and provide appropriate contraception for those who are and wish to remain sexually active. Finally, the counseling and testing process can be a powerful tool for helping young people deal with peer pressure, adopt and sustain healthy behaviors that will benefit them for the rest of their lives. Kids & Teens Resource Centre has a score of skilled counselors and testers and 20 mobile tents to offer services in a confidential manner during HCT outreaches.
To reduce the wide spread of malaria in Africa, we do activities around social mobilization, referral, advocacy, communication, community outreaches, promotion of LLITN, rallies and campaigns.
- Ondo HQ: 13, Kola Ogunmola Street, Ijapo Estate, Akure, Ondo State, Nigeria.
- Email: [email protected]
- Ekiti Branch: 13, Orire Hospital Lane, Adebayo Estate, Ado-Ekiti, Ekiti State.
- Email: [email protected]
- FCT Branch: Suite C 308, Garki II, Abuja (FCT) Nigeria.
- Email: [email protected]
- Kwara Branch: 16, Gaa Akanbi Road, Ilorin, Kwara State
- Email: [email protected]
Education is one of the most powerful weapons in fighting poverty. However, Nigeria is one of the countries lacking substantial educational infrastructure thus facing a number of unique problems: rural access, gender inequalities, child labor, and more. >>
Family planning allows individuals and couples to anticipate and attain their desired number of children and the spacing and timing of their births. It is achieved through use of contraceptive methods and the treatment of involuntary infertility. >>
As part of efforts to promote children and young people’s access to basic amenities of life and ensure their access to the four pillars of their fundamental rights of Survival, Development, Participation and Protection, Kids & Teens Resource Centre support and promotes credible, transparent and sustainable electoral processes as well as strengthening the channels of civil engagement for improved democratic engagement. How? >>
Kids & Teens Resource Centre designed programs to create sustainable livelihood for young people with special focus on career training, skills development, and access to capital. >>
In light of the global nature of environmental damage, Kids & Teens Resource Centre has stepped up as an actor that addresses the interconnected issues of the environment. Kids & Teens Resource Centre deals with issues of the environment, including the depletion of natural resources, global warming and conservation. >>